Friday, January 16, 2009

Who taught you about goal setting and achieving?

On January 14, 2009 I was reminded about the person who taught me about goal setting and achieving with the passing of Ricardo Montalban. As a young child I would watch Fantasy Island. Mr. Roarke would grant people their fantasy. He would take a dream and turn it into an opportunity for people to achieve. He did not just give them the dream. He actually made them work for. Fantasy Island was a place for people to take action on their goals.

I remember watching one episode where Mr. Roarke was (of course in his white shining armor suit) dancing a waltz with a beautiful woman. I watch as they danced around and how elegant and graceful they danced together. I was mesmerized by the eloquence and connection they had together. I knew in my heart that I wanted that! Hence a dream was born. For many years I would visualize myself dancing with Ricardo Montalban. I would see myself dancing gracefully and enjoying each step that I would take. I would daydream about dancing the waltz.

Of course this was not the typical thing a young teen was involved with. Many people thought I was nuts. And despite what other people thought I had a dream to fulfill. I started going to a place to dance. I picked up lessons when I could. Did not have money for lessons so when I could go and someone would show me a couple of steps I would be thrilled. I was committed to learn how to waltz. I was lucky to have a mom who also liked to dance. So every Sunday the two of us would go to a place called Little Switzerland. The Gruber family owned and played the Oktoberfest style music. For about five years I was dancing the polka, waltz, tango and any other dance you see on the ballroom competitions. I became a wonderful dancer. I had a lot of fun and met many great, supportive people who wanted to see me succeed. I learned a lot about myself through dancing and still have the opportunity from time to time to waltz with my husband.

I read about Ricardo passing away and took a few moments to honor him in my heart. I still vision myself dancing with him in his white suit. I still visualize the opportunities of someone setting up your dreams and goals and then hands that opportunity to you to reach the desires in your heart. Fantasy Island was for me the beginning of setting and reaching my goals. Because of his character and his personal demeanor I too wanted to be like Mr. Roarke. Set up other people’s dreams and goals in such a way that they could take action on them and reach the desires of their heart.

Thank you Ricardo for teaching me how to visualize what is in my heart and taking action to my dreams. You will be remembered forever in my heart and thank you for letting me dance with you in my dreams.

So, again I ask you, the person reading this message, who taught you about goal setting and achieving? Are you acting on your dreams? Do you visualize success? Are you surrounding yourself with successful and supportive people? Do you let other peoples views stop you from going after what your heart desires?

If you could use support in this area contact me. dreamteam@bealegacy.com I had a great teacher to start me on the journey of setting and achieving goals. I have found other great teachers to work with to improve my skills along the way! Dreams are meant to be fulfilled! How will you take action today towards achieving your dreams and goals?

No comments: